UPR 10.04r2 released
The UPR Team has published the second stable release of Ubuntu Privacy Remix 10.04r2 (Codename Locked Lynx). UPR is a live system to protect from spying and data theft.
Apart from the changes with UPR itself, we now offer a dualboot ISO for DVD or USB drive on our download page (https://www.privacy-cd.org/en/using-upr/download), which includes the current version 0.9 of the TAILS live system (tails.boum.org), a live system focused on anonymous internet usage over the TOR network. This way, the user can choose to either work in an isolated, secure environment with UPR or use the internet anonymously with TAILS, using the same media.
What is Ubuntu Privacy Remix?
The goal of Ubuntu Privacy Remix is to provide an isolated working environment where sensitive data can be dealt with safely. The system installed on the computer running UPR remains untouched, UPR is not intended for permanent installation on hard disk. Instead of that Ubuntu Privacy Remix runs from a modified Live-CD based on Ubuntu Linux. All user data reside exclusively on encrypted removable media.
UPR raises the „basic“ protection already offered by live systems with several measures. It is intended only for local offline work and offers no connection to the internet. Data meant to be transmitted over the internet can be encrypted with e.g. GnuPG while working with UPR. Internet connection can then be established by the locally installed system after working with UPR, so it does never get in contact with the unencrypted sensitive data.
Separation from all kinds of network connection, potentially infected local hard drives etc. is the price you pay for a high level of security. Therefore, UPR is designed as a supplement to the operating system the user currently uses, and is meant only to work with especially sensitive data.
All user data resides exclusively on encrypted removable media. So-called „extended TrueCrypt-Volumes“ can store not only user data but also user-specific configuration, PGP-keys etc. on TrueCrypt-encrypted storage media or container files. After opening such volumes, the users customized environment is available for use. This allows safe and productive work with an otherwise unchangeable live system.
UPR is mainly a tool to protect your data against unsolicited access by opponents which are prepared to go to great lengths.
Learn more about it at https://privacy-cd.org
New Features and Changes in UPR 10.04r2
* Based on Ubuntu 10.04.3 resp. Packages as of 10/14/2011
* New program „tellico“, a small database
* New program „Grsync“ for making backups
* New program „X-Tile“ to arrange windows
* TrueCrypt was updated to version 7.0a
* The GPG-Frontend was updated, bugs were fixed and new features added.
* The handling of TrueCrypt volumes has been reworked from the ground up. Day-to-day handling of TrueCrypt containers as well as fully-encrypted devices is now done completely within the file manager „Nautilus“. A wizard was added for the creation of TrueCrypt volumes.
* Lots of bugs have been fixed and small features were added
* UPR is now distributed in Hybrid-ISO format. USB drives are now the recommended way of using UPR.
* More Details of new features and concepts can be found in the manuals, accessible from the „Help“ Menu. The corresponding sections are marked with „New“.
Read all announcements
Comments are closed.