Linux Mint Debian 201303 released!
The team is proud to announce the release of LMDE 201303.
LMDE 201303 Cinnamon Edition
LMDE 201303 MATE Edition
- Update Pack 6
- MATE 1.4
- Cinnamon 1.6
- Installer improvements (graphical timezone and keyboard selection, support for installation on multiple HDD, slideshow, webcam and face picture support)
- Device Driver Manager
- Plymouth splash screen
If you’re new to LMDE, welcome to Linux Mint Debian!
LMDE in brief
- Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a semi-rolling distribution based on Debian Testing.
- It’s available in both 32 and 64-bit as a live DVD with MATE or Cinnamon.
- The purpose of LMDE is to look identical to the main edition and to provide the same functionality while using Debian as a base.
1. Is LMDE compatible with Ubuntu-based Linux Mint editions?
No, it is not. LMDE is compatible with Debian, which isn’t compatible with Ubuntu.
2. Is LMDE fully compatible with Debian?
Yes, 100%. LMDE is compatible with repositories designed for Debian Testing.
3. What is a semi-rolling distribution?
Updates are constantly fed to Debian Testing, where users experience frequent regressions but also frequent bug fixes and improvements. LMDE receives “Update Packs” which are tested snapshots of Debian Testing. Users can experience a more stable system thanks to update packs, or switch their sources to follow Testing, or even Unstable, directly to get more frequent updates.
4. How does LMDE compare to the Ubuntu-based editions?
- You don’t need to ever re-install the system. New versions of software and updates are continuously brought to you.
- It’s faster and more responsive than Ubuntu-based editions.
- LMDE requires a deeper knowledge and experience with Linux, dpkg and APT.
- Debian is a less user-friendly/desktop-ready base than Ubuntu. Expect some rough edges.
- No EFI, GPT or secureBoot support.
- About the installer: The live installer is developed from scratch with Debian in mind. It’s configurable and it can be re-used by other Debian-based distributions. We noticed a lack in live technologies and in live Debian installers, so we’re happy to take the lead on this. If you’re a developer and you’re interested in using it, have a look at its source repository and don’t hesitate to contact us so we can help you fork it and merge upcoming changes between our two projects.
- About bugs: Please use this blog to report bugs.
- Dedicated chat room: #linuxmint-debian is open to LMDE users on irc.spotchat.org.
- Cinnamon 32-bit: b82ad03d022c7ad56ef8195642494f41
- Cinnamon 64-bit: 559d2f78c8f209eff56300d92d86458f
- MATE 32-bit: 06ae51a79afb8cf71ebc21e78fb630b0
- MATE 64-bit: 6f35b278e027ce6c26456f41346faf76
We look forward to receiving your feedback. Thank you for using Linux Mint and have a lot of fun with this new release!
Read more at Linux Mint Blog
Comments are closed.